PeopleSoft FAQ's

Frequently Asked Questions

Questions about PeopleSoft Financials or eProcurement? Concerned about the correct procedures for defining and reporting travel expenses? Or did you just forget your password? You'll find the answers you need here.






Q: How do I login to PeopleSoft Financials (where I can access eProcurement and Travel Expenses)?
A: Launch your preferred internet browser. From the SDUSD home page ( click Staff Portal. Click A-Z. Select "PeopleSoft- Financial" . Then login with your SDUSD Employee ID number and password.

Q: What do I do if I forget my password?
A: Contact the I.T. Help Desk at (619) 209-HELP (4357). They will reset your password for you.

Q: How do I sign up for a training class?
A: Register for a training class on the Professional Learning website.

Q: I can't leave my site to attend a training class...what can I do?
A: The fact is that without face-to-face, in-class training with an expert instructor, you won't learn to do everything you need to know how to do. That being said, you can learn enough basics to squeak by if you are willing to do a few things on your own:

On the left side of this page, click the Training Opportunities link. Scroll down that page, and you'll find a list of all our current PeopleSoft classes, along with links to their respective training materials (handbooks, job aids, and online tutorials).

Most PeopleSoft training classes are only half-day classes, so you would not have to be gone from your site all day. Please try to arrange it with your supervisor so you can attend a class.

Q: Where can I find Handbooks and Job Aids (illustrated how-to sheets)?
A: Handbooks are comprehensive training manuals that contain everything about a given topic or how-to skill. Job Aids are individual, illustrated instruction sheets that show you how to do specific tasks. To access these materials, click the Training Materials & Resources link on the left side of this page, and then click the area link for the training class/area you are interested in. On that page, you'll find printable handbooks and job aids.

Q: What are the online tutorials?
A: PeopleSoft online training tutorials are animated, narrated, interactive video clips that you can run and watch on your own computer. You can use Internet Explorer, Firefox, or Safari as the browser. You cannot run the training tutorial videos on Google Chrome.The tutorials are custom created for you by our own school district IT trainers...the same people who teach the training classes. Tutorials are designed to help you learn, or just give you a refresher, on how to use our PeopleSoft online system software. They walk you through individual tasks. There are tutorials for many different things, including financial tasks like how to use eProcurement to place an order, how to create an expense report, and how to do things in Time & Labor, and other Human Resources areas. To find out how to run a tutorial, click the Training Materials & Resources link, and then scroll down and click the Training Videos link.

Q: What is a Chartfield or Chartfield String?
A: Also called Budget Strings, Chartfields are small textboxes designed to hold numerals that, when strung together in a numeric sentence, comprise the name of a given SDUSD budget. When you create an eProcurement requisition, or a travel authorization, for example, you must enter the correct numerals into the correct Chartfields on the electronic form. This ensures that the appropriate funds will be used to pay for your order/travel. For more information about Chartfields, please click over to the Training Materials & Resources page, and click into the Financial Printed Training Materials link.

Q: How do I run a budget report?
A: There are several different kinds of budget reports you can run. We have several illustrated Job Aids posted to this website that show you how to locate and run commonly used budget reports. On the left side of this screen, click Training Materials & Resources. On that page, scroll down to the section entitled General, Budget Assistance, & Outlook Web Application E-Mail. There, you'll find a number of Job Aid links. Click on the desired link to open and view that Job Aid.

Q: What do I do if I get a budget error?
A: If you receive a budget error when you try to budget-check an eProcurement requisition order, or on a travel expense form, it means one of the following:

  • There isn't enough money in a budget you are trying to use to pay for something.
  • A budget you are trying to use is inactive and needs to be activated.
  • You made a typing mistake when you entered the budget code numbers, and the computer can't locate the budget.

First, check to see whether you made a typing mistake. That's probably the most common problem. But, if the problem is A or B, you must notify your site's Budget Analyst who can resolve the trouble. To view a Job Aid (illustrated how-to sheet) that explains how to resolve budget errors, please visit the Training Materials & Resources web page (see the left side of this page for the link), and then navigate to the Financial Printed Training Materials page.

Q: What is a Budget Inquiry?
A: When you want to see how much money you have in a given account (budget), you can run a budget inquiry. A budget inquiry is where you enter the criteria (the numeric name of the budget you want to view), and click a Search button. Your screen will then display basic information about that budget, including how much money was allocated, how much has already been spent, and how much is currently remaining and available for use. Please see the Job Aid or training tutorial for how to do a Budget Inquiry, found from the Training Materials & Resources link.

Q: Where can I find help specifically for budgets?
A: You can call the Budget Hotline at (619) 725-7585. A knowledgeable person in the Finance Department will answer the phone and assist you with budget-related questions.

Q: Is there an I.T. training class to learn about budgets?
A: No. As of this writing (February 2019) there is no training class offered by the IT Trainers that specifically teaches about budgets. However, there are some resources you can turn to:

  • Budget Hotline: (619) 725-7585
  • eProcurement Training Class (includes how to run a simple budget report)
  • PeopleSoft for Site Administrators Training Class (includes how to run advanced budget reports)
  • Handbooks, Job Aids, and eLearning Tutorials include some information on how to run budget reports

Q:Where is the Budget Transactions Details Report?
A: The BTD Report used to be located in the EPM area of our PeopleSoft Financials software system. Here is the navigation (the mouse click path) to find it again. Login to PeopleSoft Financials as usual. Then, click the following menu links beginning in the top left corner of the screen: Main Menu --> EPM Reports --> Budget Tran Det Report

Q: What is eProcurement?

A: PeopleSoft eProcurement (ePro) is a web-based ordering system used by the district certain goods and services. Through eProcurement, we can order things like books, computers, food, custodial supplies, district forms, bus tokens, office supplies, instructional supplies, or asset items using a requisition. You create the electronic requisition by choosing items to order, and placing those items on the requisition form. On the requisition form, you designate which budget account(s) to pay for all the items. Once the budget has been checked successfully, you submit the requisition electronically to your Approver for approval and processing. The Approver is your Department Head or Site Administrator; usually your principal or manager. ePro also provides ways to track the status of all submitted requisition orders.

It is highly recommended to attend a Procurement training class prior to submitting any orders.

Q: When can I use my P-Card?
A: You need to ask your site administrator or supervisor. It is our understanding that a Procurement Card (P-Card) might be used to make certain purchases and approved district travel. You MUST submit a Travel Authorization if using a P-Card as a payment method for authorized travel costs.

Q: How can I find a missing ePro requisition?
A: When you want to locate an eProcurement requisition that is not appearing in your Manage Requisitions page, change the date in the Date From field to an earlier date. By default, each time you navigate to the Manage Requisitions page it will automatically display only the requisitions created within the past seven days. Click into the Date From field near the top of the page, and change the date to an earlier date, to include the date when you first created the requisition you're looking for. For example, if you are looking for a requisition you created during the week of Sep. 20th, then you should enter the Date From as Sep. 20th. After changing that date, you must click the Search button. Your screen will update to include requisitions from that earlier date.

Q: What is a "Web" or "Direct Connect" order?
A: Web ordering (Direct Connect orders) is a feature of the eProcurement to order goods and services from a few special vendors/suppliers commonly used throughout the school district. These vendors/suppliers in Direct Connect have a special contract with us, so that we get good discounts and fast delivery. Our Web Direct Connect vendors include Office Depot, Waxie, Grainger, Lakeshore, and many others. To learn how to use Direct Connect, you must attend the eProcurement training class.

Q: How do I order Office Supplies or Custodial Supplies?
A: To order most office or custodial supplies you must use the Web Direct Connect page in our PeopleSoft eProcurement online ordering system.

Q: Why are my orders delivered to my previous job site, and not to me at my new site?
A: When you change jobs and move to a new job site (a different school or office within the SDUSD district), you need to submit a DWA Security Request form PeopleSoft to officially change your location in the PeopleSoft system. This is submitted electronically through PeopleSoft HCM. Please use the How to Submit a DWA Security Request job aid for help. To find the Job Aid, click the Training Materials & Resources link on the left side of this page. Then scroll down, and under General Budget Assistance, click the link: DWA Security Request Form Instructions.

Q: I canceled my requisition but the funds are still encumbered... how do I release the funds?
A: Canceling an ePro requisition stops the order, but the funds are still locked up in that requisition, and cannot be used for anything else. To release the funds from the ePro requisition and replace them into their budget, after canceling the ePro you must then run the Budget Check process on that requisition. You do this from the drop-down menu, on the far right side of the ePro listing, on the Manage Requisitions page. Please see the How to Release Money from a Canceled Order job aid for help.

Q: Can I see eProcurement requisitions created by anyone else at my site?
A: No, but you can still see all the information about all eProcurement requisitions created using your site's budgets. You can see the details of any eProcurement requisition created by anyone at your school, site, or department. This includes orders that have or have not been submitted for approval yet. You can see them by running a report query, called The eProcurement Report. It is easy to run, and anyone who has access to the eProcurement system in our school district can run it. Please see the eProcurement Report job aid for help.

Q: My Requisition was Denied for Lack of Information... What Do I Do?
A: On the Manage Requisitions page, edit the requisition to provide the missing information being asked for. Then, budget-check it and submit it again.

Q: I Still Haven't Received My ePro Order... What Can I Do?
A: Login to eProcurement and navigate to the Manage Requisitions page. Locate the requisition in question, and expand its Lifespan timeline (click the little triangle button to the left of the requisition's ID number). Observe the timeline to see what the last thing was that happened with the order. Has the P.O. (Purchase Order) been created yet? If not, contact the Strategic Sourcing Department and ask them for assistance. If the P.O. has been created, take a look at it to see the date it was created. If you still have not received your order by 30 days after the date of the Purchase Order, contact the current eProcurement SME (Subject Matter Expert), and tell him/her right away. The SME can look into the matter and help resolve it.

Q:Did You Bypass the Supply Center on a Special Request Order? Do This Please!
A: If you ordered a Special Request item and had it delivered directly to your site, bypassing the SDUSD Supply Center, please be sure to notify the Supply Center that you received it! This is very important to ensure the item is recorded as being received, and so that the bill for it is paid on time. Just send a quick email like this (be sure to include the P.O. number, too!):

Email address: [email protected]
Subject line: Received Goods
Email message: "P.O. #_____ We've received everything."

Q: Want to Return an Item? Do it This Way Please!
A: Is it a Direct Connect vendor item? Such as from Staples or Waxie? Then you can return it yourself. If you aren't sure how to do that, contact our SDUSD Direct Connect SME (Subject Matter Expert). As of this writing (Oct. 2014), that person is John Groll.

If you want to return any item that was not purchased through Direct Connect, do not attempt to return it yourself. Contact the Strategic Sourcing Department for assistance, at (858) 522-5808.

Q: What are Expenses?
A: Expenses (aka Travel Expenses) are costs incurred when a school district employee travels on school district business, as a required part of his/her job. One example of this is when a teacher is sent to attend an educational conference, either locally, or out of town. The teacher must first submit a Travel Authorization form before the trip. The teacher's supervisor (usually the school principal) must approve the form, and travel arrangements must be made, along with fees that need to be paid. After the teacher returns, he/she must submit an Expense Report form which confirms that the teacher attended the conference, and also confirms all the expenses incurred on the trip (such as transportation, lodging, or meals). Any employee who must travel needs to attend the Expenses training class, to learn how to create and submit the correct forms. These forms are done electronically online.

Q: What is a Travel Authorization?
A: A Travel Authorization (aka T.A.) is a district form you create and submit electronically online. It is required that before you make any travel arrangements for any district-related business trip you must first have submitted a T.A. and it must have already been electronically approved. T.A.s must be electronically submitted online a minimum of three weeks prior to the date of travel. All Travel Authorizations must also have corresponding Expense Reports created and submitted, which must be created as soon as you return from the trip. To learn how to create a Travel Authorization (and its related Expense Report) you must attend the Expenses training class.

Q: Can a Travel Authorization Be For More Than One Person?
A: Yes, but only if two things are true:

  • Everyone named on the Travel Authorization is traveling to the same, local event, at the same time, and the event will be held within San Diego County.
  • No one who is traveling will claim any additional expenses upon their return, that were not listed and approved on the Travel Authorization.

Q: What is an Expense Report?
A: An Expense Report is a district form you create and submit electronically online. If you created a Travel Authorization for a business trip, and you went on the trip, then as soon as you return, you must create and submit an Expense Report online. Expense Reports are required, and are electronically connected to their Travel Authorizations. The only time you would create an Expense Report without having first done a T.A., is if you are submitting a Mileage reimbursement expense report. Mileage reports never require Travel Authorizations. To learn how to create Expense Reports you must attend the Expenses training class. If the only district related travel you do is to drive your car as a required part of your daily job tasks, then you only need to attend the Mileage training class.

Q: Will I Get Reimbursed for All My Out-of-Pocket Expenses?
A: Not necessarily. You will only be reimbursed for those out-of-pocket expenses that were pre-approved by your Department Approver and Branch Head (Area Superintendent). This depends on each individualtrip, and the budget situation at your school or office. You might get reimbursed some, or all, or none of your out-of-pocket expenses. The only way to be certain is to ask your Department Approver for verbal pre-approval of specific anticipated expenses beforehand, and then you must list these expenses on your Travel Authorization. You also should specify what expenses have pre-approval in the General Information Comment textbox on the Travel Authorization.

Q: Why Can't I Travel First, and then Submit Travel Forms Upon My Return?
A: If you travel without submitting a Travel Authorization, you will be solely responsible for all your travel expenses, and likely will not be reimbursed. This is school district policy for every employee, at every level. It is recommended that you submit your Travel Authorization a minimum of three weeks before you are scheduled to travel.

Q: What is a $0 (zero dollars) Expense Report?
A: A $0 (zero dollars) Expense Report is a district form you create and submit electronically online, after having completed a Travel Authorization that was pre-paid, and after returning from the travel that was indicated on that Travel Authorization. Say, for example, that you attended a local seminar in San Diego that was only a one-day event. The cost for attending the seminar was prepaid when you submitted the Travel Authorization ahead of time. There were no other costs involved... no mileage reimbursement, meal, or anything else. After you return from the seminar, you must complete and submit an Expense Report (every Travel Authorization must have an Expense Report electronically attached to it). You would copy the details of the Travel Authorization into the Expense Report . You would not add any other expenses to it... it would only show the prepaid expense of the cost of attending. You would then save and submit that Expense Report. We call it a "zero dollars" Expense Report because it will not generate any additional payments to anyone.

Q: Can I see Travel Expense forms created by anyone else at my site?
A: Only if you are a site administrator or department head. They are the only ones given access to see all travel expense forms created within their site. If you aren't a site administrator or department head, you can only see travel expense forms you created yourself. By the same token, if you designated someone else to create travel forms on your behalf, you cannot see those forms, because you didn't create them yourself. Only the person who actually created them can see them, even if they have your name on them. This is why we encourage you to create and submit your own travel forms whenever possible.

Q: What is Mileage? How do I get reimbursed for my Mileage?
A: Mileage refers to the monetary reimbursement to employees for the mileage they incur on their own private vehicles whenever they are required to drive in order to perform their job. Certain employees fall into this category, depending on their job title, and how much funding their supervisor is able to use for this purpose. In order to receive reimbursement, employees must submit an Expense Report for local mileage at the end of the month in which the travel occurred. You must submit a separate report for each month in which you are claiming mileage reimbursement. In addition, you must submit your mileage reports month by month. Do not save them up and submit a bunch of them all at once...if you do, you risk forfeiting your reimbursement money. Any employee who qualifies for mileage reimbursement needs to attend the Mileage training class, to learn how to properly create and submit the report, which is done electronically online. There are also Job Aids and online tutorial videos to help you.

Q: Am I supposed to keep track of my travel expense forms? How?
A: Yes. Once you submit a Travel Authorization or Expense Report, it is your responsibility to track both as they are processed through the system. To learn how to do this, you can attend the 3 1/2 hour Expenses training class. You can also learn a rudimentary version of how to track your forms by reading related Job Aids, Handbooks, and watching pertinent online tutorials. Please visit the Training Materials & Resources page and the Training Opportunities page for more information.

Q: What is PeopleSoft for Site Administrators?
A: "PeopleSoft for Site Administrators" is a training class especially designed only for those district employees who are department heads, school principals, directors, managers, and any administrative staff member who is in charge of approving how their money is spent, and managing his/her staff. Only employees that fall into one of those categories may attend this class. The class teaches everything a site administrator needs to know concerning their required tasks using PeopleSoft software applications. Through hands-on exercises, attendees learn many things, including how to run budget reports, approve eProcurement requisitions and travel expense forms, and how to work with PARs, and Time & Labor reports. It is important for all site administrators to attend this training class.

Q: I am a site administrator. What are my required tasks in PeopleSoft Financials?
A: As a Site Administrator (principal, department head, or other supervisor of a school or department), you are tasked with ensuring that your funds are spent appropriately, and you are tasked with examining and approving the PeopleSoft online forms submitted to you. In the area of PeopleSoft Financials, you are required to:

  • Examine the details of all eProcurement requisition orders, and approve or deny them.
  • Examine the details of all Travel Authorization forms, and approve them or send them back for revision.
  • Examine the details of all Expense Report forms, and approve them or send them back for revision.
  • Keep track of your budget balances, and ensure your funds are spent appropriately within legal boundaries and school district policies.

You will learn how to do all these tasks (along with your required tasks in the area of PeopleSoft Human Resources) when you attend the 1-day PeopleSoft for Site Administrators training class.

Q: Can my staff do my PeopleSoft approvals for me?
A: No. As the Site Administrator, you are the only person legally designated to approve eProcurement requisition orders, and travel expenses. It is actually an illegal act of fraud if you have anyone else login to PeopleSoft under your Employee ID and password, and have them approve any spending of public school funds. If you and your staff are caught doing this, you could possibly be charged with a criminal offense.

Q: Where can I find help?
A: If you observe the list of links on the left side of this web page, you can click on the Training Materials & Resources link. There you can find links to printed job aids, handbooks, and online training tutorial videos, as well as names, phone numbers, and emails for our SDUSD SMEs (Subject Matter Experts) who can assist you. There is also a link to our Training Calendar, showing when the next training classes will be held.

Q: What is a SME?
A: A SME (Subject Matter Expert, pronounced "smee") is a San Diego Unified School District employee who is an acknowledged expert in a given topic or area. SMEs are generally available to answer questions you might have about how to do things in PeopleSoft. There are different SMEs for different areas of PeopleSoft. To find out the best SME to contact for your question, click the Home link on the left side of this screen. Then, scroll the page up to see the bottom, and click on the SME link there, on the lower right.

Q: What is the Open Lab?
A: The Open Lab is a place you can physically go to in order to obtain one-on-one assistance from a PeopleSoft Trainer (the people who conduct the training classes). Open Labs are generally offered about once a month or more often, depending on the current need. You bring your work with you, and a trainer will sit down with you at a computer station and assist you in completing your task. IMPORTANT NOTE: Open Lab is not a place to obtain training. You can only use the Open Lab if you have already attended a PeopleSoft training class in the topic you need help with. Open Lab is intended to assist SDUSD employees if they have a specific question or problem with completing a task in PeopleSoft. To contact the appropriate trainer, click the Contacts link on the left side of this screen, and then scroll down to the bottom of the page to view the names, contact information, and specialty areas of instruction, for the training instructors.